A warm welcome to Tom Watkins who joins the Johnsons of Whixley team as part of a two year management trainee programme which Johnsons hopes will provide a vocational platform from which the business’s future leaders can emerge.
1. Where did you work prior to Johnsons and what did your role include?
Battlefield farms, Virginia. Large scale commercial greenhouse that specialised in ornamentals, predominately annual bedding plants. I was an intern working as a grower.
2. Did you go to a horticultural college?
Yes Askham Bryan College, York
3. What makes the industry attractive to you?
I like the satisfaction of seeing a crop throughout its growth cycle and enjoy that each season is different.
4. What will your training at Johnsons involve?
Understanding how the business is run by working on different placements within Johnsons including getting to know the customers and suppliers.
5. What have you learnt so far?
As well as general nursery duties that are to be carried out on site I am starting to understand how orders are received, processed, prepared and despatched.
6. What are you looking forward to in your new role? I am looking forward to taking on interesting projects and gaining management experience.
7. What do you think the challenges will be?
In an industry that is constantly changing I think the challenges will lie in adapting to those changes, that and learning everyone’s name.
8. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
I enjoy cooking and I am a keen fisherman
Posted 10th Oct 9:39am
|Monday||8am - 4.30pm|
|Tuesday||8am - 4.30pm|
|Wednesday||8am - 4.30pm|
|Thursday||8am - 4.30pm|
|Friday||8am - 4.30pm|
|Saturday||8am - 12pm|
Set in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside, why not visit our nursery to discover what we have to offer?